Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Dinner at home... Kohinoor Dhaba Take-out

I am by no means an expert in Indian food.  In fact, I've only eaten it three times...  But this take-out was amazing.  While we were eating, I was sounding a bit like my father... "this is so good... wow, this is delicious..."  My dad is infamous for praising his meals :)

While Kohinoor Dhaba isn't much to look at from the outside - the restaurant is located on the 2nd floor of a brick building that is the only real building in its block (and below it is a beauty salon).  If you want a visual, check it out on google streetview.  When you walk inside, it is even less to look at.  Appears that the kitchen is to the left and the "dining" room is to the right.  The dining room consists of barren white walls, one of which is lined with drink refrigerators and the buffet stand.  The room is maybe 200 sq. ft. and dotted with basic white tables and chairs.  It almost looks like a mini-cafeteria.

Given the exterior appearance, I was not originally inclined to try this restaurant especially given my lack of exposure to Indian cuisine in the DC area.  But after reading some reviews and my general lack of interest in cooking that night, I figured it was worth a try.  When I walked in a women was leaving the restaurant... She asked me if I had eaten there before and then gave her stamp of approval saying, "In my opinion, this is the best Indian food in the entire DC area.  Bold statement, I know, but I stand by it."  With that glowing review, I felt even more confident in our dinner choice. 

We ordered the Palak Paneer, Chicken Tikka Masala, and Naan.  It was delicious.  Just enough spice and heat, that those weak when it comes to spicy food (...me...) can enjoy the flavor without having to constantly down water.  Everything was so full of flavor and the chicken was excellent.  Great quality and so tender it was just falling apart.  The naan was fresh and hot and the perfect pairing.  They threw in a dessert, which I now know is Gulab Jamun - a deep fried farmer's cheese ball in honey and rose water syrup.  By looking at it, I was expecting crispy, but got a soft doughy nugget that was sweet and rich.  Any remaining heat from the Palak Paneer or Chicken Tikka Masala was now gone.




We're already planning to go back and next time we'll eat in for their $8.95 all you can eat buffet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments and enjoy knowing what you think!